Sunday, 27 October 2013

How to fish

With the clocks going back an hour, I planned to leave at 6am for a mornings fishing. Sometimes things just don't pan out the way you plan them. Our beloved cat decided to chow down on an elastic band and at midnight the night before we had to take her to the vets to have her small stomach pumped. Rest assured we did not arrive home until around 1 and I don't think I was asleep until 2. I set my trusty old phone back an hour and fell asleep. Except my phone went back another hour automatically so by the time I awoke I had no idea what time it was. It was 8.15am.

On my way to the Bruche, I cycle past the small river in the picture below. Allotments sit right next to the waterside, and I am thinking that next year I will try and get myself access to these makeshift pegs. I fancy my chances of a Chub or two from this water.

Possible Chub swim?

I arrived at the Bruche and set-up hastily. I flicked bread into the middle of the gentle flow and waited for the rod tip to wake up. After 5 minutes a breeze really picked up and although it was a bright, sunny morning the wind was moving my rod tip all over the place, making bite detection awkward, although not impossible. I had a few bites over a 30 minute period but couldn't strike true. As usual this spot has a fair share of walkers, runners and cyclists and it is easy to be distracted. I chose to change my tactics and try for the Perch I thought I had on my line the week before. I finished Chris Yates' book 'How to Fish' a couple of weeks ago and I have been inspired to try for a Perch ever since, the way he describes their feeding habits and their habitat that he cleverly titles 'The Church of the Perch' is sublime! 

Parked up at the Bruche Canal
Using a stick I managed to dig up one of the Perch's favourite meals, a juicy lob worm. Instead of casting to my right, I gently and amazingly for me, accurately managed to cast straight to the front, underneath tree branches. Instead of resting the rod and waiting for the visual, I decided to touch ledger, a tactic i'm slowly growing to love. With the line tight and using the sense of touch alone it was a minute or so before I felt 'tick, tick, boom!' I struck into a stern fighting fish and 30-40 seconds later I had a lovely conditioned Perch in the net. He looked fantastic in his green football shirt complete with vibrant stripes.

Wild Canal Perch. I wonder if he has bigger brothers?

After I slipped him back into the drink, he lay still gathering his thoughts before shooting off to warn the shoal. At this point it was 11am and time to collect the cat from the vets. An enjoyable if short angling adventure complete.
Spot the fish

No comments:

Post a Comment